After our successful 2017 MTB trip to NE Tasmania incorporating the Derby stopover of the Enduro World Series (EWS), we are returning to ‘The Apple Isle’ in 2018 with a longer-duration trip, more amazing trails in more locations, and a fresh, new target in sight!
The objective: riding the newly-opened trails of Maydena Bike Park! The newest bike park in Australia gets a visit from the RAW Epics crew – so why not join us?
Additionally, hit up sweet singletrack gems in the Hobart region including the North-South Track (Mt. Wellington), Glenorchy Bike Park, and the trail networks in Clarence and the Meehan Ranges.
Of course, no visit with mountain bikes to Tasmania is complete without riding the world-class trails of Blue Derby in Tasmania’s nrth-east. Close by are the super-fun Juggernaut descent at Hollybank, and the beautiful backcountry trails of the Blue Tier.
With a carefully curated itinerary featuring 7 amazing days of riding, visiting the very best riding spots in the state, with professional, experienced, certified, and very friendly guides, and our own minibus and bike trailer at our disposal… this is the ultimate Tasmanian MTB road-trip not to be missed!
To whet your appetite, find out about Hollybank Park, with the centerpiece Juggernaut trail in this video edit from Australian MTB publication ‘Flow’:
Next, find out more about amazing Derby, the highlight of our April 2017 trip and site of Round #2 of the EWS in this recap featuring all the action from the racing:
Travel Dates 2018: 26 January to 4 February (fixed departure)
Duration: 10 days (including arrival day and departure day); 7 days’ of riding
Destination: Prime riding spots throughout the state of Tasmania (Australia) – Hobart & surrounds, Maydena Bike Park, Derby & Blue Tier, and Hollybank.
Skill level: Intermediate- and Advanced-friendly. Participants should be competent at riding green and blue trails confidently; as well as a few technical and high-speed features on some black trails.
Fitness Level: Intermediate – participants must be able to climb and descend on both sustained off-road uphills/downhills as well as rolling off-road terrain for between 2-7 hours per day, for up to .
Recommended bike: trail bike suitable for mix of XC and enduro-style riding (29″ wheels w/120-160mm travel OR 27.5″/26″ wheels w/140-180mm travel)
Number of participant spots: 10 maximum [do not delay: book now!]
- Departure Day (for Singapore-based clients): Fly Singapore – Hobart (overnight flight, via Melbourne)
- Day 0, Friday 26/1 (Arrival + Australia Day Welcome): Pick-up at Hobart Airport, build bikes, transfer to accommodation. Free & easy Australia Day celebrations in Hobart + opening dinner. Overnight at B&B in Hobart.
- Day 1, Saturday 27/1 (North South Track + Glenorchy): Salamanca Market in morning; shuttle uplift to North-South Track, descent to Glorchy MTB Park. Overnight at B&B in Hobart.
- Day 2, Sunday 28/1 (Clarence + Meehan Ranges XC): Day-trip to trail networks in Hobart surrounds. Transfer to Maydena. Overnight at B&B in Maydena
- Day 3, Monday 29/1 (Maydena Bike Park): Ride full-day at Maydena Bike Park (vehicular shuttle included in fees). Overnight at B&B in Maydena
- Day 4, Tuesday 30/1 (R&R Day): Sightseeing at National Parks near Maydena. Transfer to Launceston. Overnight at B&B in Launceston
- Day 5, Wednesday 31/1 (Hollybank): Ride Hollybank (shuttle assisted) in morning, local produce tour along the way to Derby. Overnight at B&B in Derby.
- Day 6, Thursday 1/2 (Blue Derby): Ride Derby main trail network, option for additional shuttles in afternoon to Black Stump. Overnight at B&B in Derby.
- Day 7, Friday 2/2 (Blue Tier Backcountry): Shuttle and ride at Blue Tier area linking down to Derby, return to lunch at Weldborough Pub, afternoon additional descent of Atlas as option. Overnight at B&B in Derby.
- Day 8, Saturday 3/2 (Black Diamond Derby): Included shuttles to Black Stump with option to access higher-level features and descents, or stick to main (green/blue) network. Afternoon drive back to Launceston. Finale seafood dinner. Overnight at B&B in Launceston.
- Day 9, Sunday 4/2 (Departure): Early transfer to Launceston Airport. Fly Launceston – Singapore.
RECOMMENDED TRIP FLIGHTS (if traveling from Singapore):
- Outbound (SIN>MEL>HBA) – tbc
- Return (LST>MEL>SIN) – tbc
Additional info: Please check back soon for updates!
Preparation: Pre-trip briefing to be conducted in Singapore by guide. Pre-trip MTB skills training courses available.