- Mountain bike guide
- Mountain bike skills instructor
- Endurance & multisport coach
- Mountain biking
- Adventure racing
- Professional Mountain Bike Instructor Association (PMBIA) Level 1 Instructor [ZEP Techniques]
- Instructor Development Training Program (IDP – Whistler) Level 1 & Level 2 Instructor [Terramethod]
- MTB Australia (MTBA) / Australian Mountain Bike Instructors Association (AMBIA) Level 0 MTB Skills Coach
- Cycling UK Mountain Bike Leader
- Triathlon Victoria Level 1 Coach
- Singapore Sports Council NCAP Level 1 Coach
- Singapore Cycling Federation Cycling Level 1 Coach
- Standard First Aid certified since 2006 (continuously updated)
Wilson started mountain biking in his school days as a means of accessing better fishing spots. He got into the sport more seriously during full-time National Service and during his tertiary studies. Straight since graduating from university, he has pursued skills instructing & coaching in adventure racing, triathlon, and mountain biking.
Personal & Career Achievements
Wilson started endurance pursuits as an adventure racer, and has completed several expedition-length adventure races. He was active mostly in adventure racing, participating in local sprint events, regional/international 24-hour & multi-stage adventure races, and off-road triathlon.
Triathlon & multisport – qualification for & completion of:
- Multisport World Championship – South Island, New Zealand (2007)
- Ironman World Championship – Kailua-Kona, USA (2008)
- Ironman 70.3 World Championship – Clearwater, USA (2008)
- Xterra World Championship – Maui, USA (2010)
- Himalayan Rush Off-road Triathlon (winner) – Pokhara, Nepal (2015)
His mountain biking achievements include:
- Cape Epic MTB stage race (2013)
- Langkawi International MTB Challenge (2013)
- Yak Ru MTB stage race (double finisher, 2014 & 2015)
- Represented Singapore at the 2013 Asia Cycling Confederation MTB Championships as athlete and team manager
He and his partner Yan Jiehui dominated the local and regional adventure racing, multisport, and mountain biking scene with several individual and team podium placings in MTB endurance relays, MTB jamborees, and off-road multisport team events. He currently continues participating in enduro and XC MTB racing, and occasionally adventure racing and off-road triathlon.
Wilson and Jiehui enjoy pursuing unique adventure challenges, with notable ‘firsts by a Singaporean couple’ including:
- 46-km trail-running circumnavigation of Tongariro Northern Circuit – New Zealand (2014)
- Fastpacking traverse hike of Tasmania’s Western Arthur Range – Australia (2015)
- Unsupported MTB bikepacking expedition in the South Chilcotin Mountains – Canada (2016)
- 70-km fastpacking overnight hike to Mt. Assiniboine National Park – Canada (2016).
Wilson runs regular MTB skills training sessions in Singapore for riders of all levels. He leads guided & training trips to regional MTB destinations including Kiara (Kuala Lumpur), Drak/Dangas (Batam), and Mt. Bromo (East Java). He also organizes longer-duration trips to world-renowned riding locations such as: Whistler (Canada), Tasmania (Australia), Rotorua & Christchurch (New Zealand).
Wilson enjoys shooting, editing, and producing videos of these trips. He also enjoys writing articles documenting trips and other outdoor-related areas of interest to him. His written articles have appeared in various online and print media – covering mountain biking, triathlon, adventure racing, endurance sport, adventure travel, outdoor equipment, physical conditioning, training & competition.
Wilson also contributes to the Singapore MTB scene by organizing the annual Singapore Open Enduro and conducting presentations & workshops on adventure travel and MTB skills development at local cycling and outdoor industry events.